Step Away from the Smartphone…
Well it’s official … smartphones are taking over our lives!
Think that’s an exaggeration? Think on. Hot-off the-press research from Comscore in the US backs the Showmanator up. Apparently 100 million Americans now own a smart phone! So what you might say? And you might be right! But, before you flick to another article, consider what that actually means. Our of a population of just over 313 million, (US Census Bureau) close to one in three people in the States have one. In addition, while texting is still listed as the most used function on any mobile device, using a downloaded app is a now a close second.
… and it’s not just the Americans that have got the bug. ‘App culture’ has taken the UK by storm too. Research last year by UK telecommunications regulator Ofcom actually talks about mobile addiction. In the UK, mobile data services have increased 40-fold in a three-year period in the country, and more than a quarter of adults and nearly half of teenagers own a smartphone. Consider the following:
▪ 37% of adults and 60% of teens admit they are highly addicted to their smartphones.
▪ 81% of smartphone users make calls every day compared with 53% of regular users.
▪ 23% of teenagers claim to watch less TV and 15% admit they read fewer books as a result of their smartphone use.
▪ 51% of adults and 65% of teens say they have used their smartphone while socializing with others.
▪ 23% of adults and 34% of teens have used their smartphones during mealtimes.
▪ 22% of adult and 47% of teens admitted using or answering their smartphone while in the bathroom. Imagine the scenario. A white-coated figure at the bathroom door … ‘Step away from the phone Mr. Tech-Driven, you know you can do it!’
As if that isn’t enough, some enlightened being conducted a survey in the US asking people what they’d be prepared to give up to keep their phone. One third of respondents would prefer to give up sex for a week than their phone. A whopping 70% would give up alcohol. If you don’t believe The Showmanator, check it out for yourself
Jury still out about why this should affect your thinking? Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, it matters because we’ve now entered a new era! The Age of the App is upon us. The world is turning differently on its axis and anyone who doesn’t take this latest revolution seriously and factor ‘App Culture’ into their business offer is either in serious denial or has their head buried so far in the sand they can no longer see the light.
Have an ‘Appy Day!